Friday, August 15, 2008

Brendan Investments (The Voyage)

Twenty three years ago, I got my first introduction to the world of boats and yachts through the Atkins family that own the Fred J Dion Yacht Yard in Salem, MA. The whole experience was fascinating for someone that was just out of college.

When winter approaches, the yacht owners can either take the boats out of the water to protect them from the elements or set sail for somewhere like Florida. These boats are precious to their owners so careful consideration has to be given as to what the best course of action should be.

When I started to read the latest newsletter from Brendan Investments, I was anxious to read about how far out to sea they were and how the voyage was progressing to date. I was preparing myself for some spin on how much less water was in the bilge of 'The Brendan' as opposed to some of the similar product offerings that set sail at the same time. That's what happens when you set sail in a tempest, you start taking on lots of water.

I was pleasantly surprised to read that 'The Brendan' was still at the pier, in the harbour. The water is just gently lapping against the hull and the crew are waiting for the right moment so that they can hoist the sails without fear from the elements.

As an investor I am happy about this, as I have confidence in the crew. It also reinforces my belief in how important it is to carefully select an investment opportunity, and not jump in to the first proposition that comes along.

Anxious investors will probably question, why the crew are taking their time in actually buying property, but sometimes it pays to be patient as this presents greater opportunities that may appear on the market.

The stated time frame for the original investment was between 7 and 10 years and if a better opportunity arises because we have to delay getting our feet wet, then so be it. It is my opinion that the decision not to invest in real property, to this point, with the funds available is the correct one.

The tide has not gone out, and I would expect that the 'owners' and crew of 'The Brendan' will be suitably rewarded, with the correct navigation equipment.

No comments: