Saturday, August 9, 2008

Early Learning (Money)


Personal Finance can be a pretty boring subject. With the best will in the world we try to get a handle on the subject but all of a sudden it becomes all to much. We abandon our research in favour of the issues that are more immediate, and once again our financial 'plan' is put on the long finger.

I do not know where my own interest in this subject came from, it was a career path that I stumbled into. I had some luck along the way, the support of a few individuals who put their faith in me and gave me some direction.

I can't recall any distinctive episodes from my childhood that would lead me to believe that the area of finance was a high priority in the Sheehy household. My father and mother both worked very hard in their respective roles. If there was something that the family needed to make our lives more comfortable, I am sure that the pros and cons were weighed up by both of them and a final decision was arrived at.

That said, I am almost certain that my attitude towards money, in particular not wasting it, was formed in those early years from watching and listening to what was going on around me. It probably made no sense to me at the time but the principles of economising and saving were firmly set in my mind to be drawn on at a later date. I can also see that my siblings were influenced by the same principles, as thrift wins the battle over extravagance.

These basic financial 'skills' are not just particular to my early years. I am sure that they were there for many of you and that it is only a matter of time before they come to the surface, hopefully it does not hit you too late. You can always force the issue by applying yourself and gaining more knowledge on the subject.

For those of you that are parents, be aware that your kids' adoring eyes and ears are open to how you are dealing with money issues. I am not for a minute suggesting that 'Loot!' forms part of their bedtime reading, but rather that you try and offer some example in how to deal with money. Simply talking about it will make them realise that it's normal for them to ask questions about money.

I believe that there are steps being put in place to try and introduce the subject of personal finance at curricular level. We can't just leave it to someone else though, we have to take some responsibility and educate ourselves and our children.

No comments: