Tuesday, February 3, 2009

'Top Gear' and the Honda FCX Clarity

I was watching a re-run of 'Top Gear' on Sunday evening and I was taken aback by the positive comments that were made about this car on the show. What was remarkable was that the presenters regarded it as the most significant car development in a 100 years.

Don't get me wrong, I agreed with what they were saying but I thought that it was momentous to hear confirmed petrol/diesel 'heads' extolling the virtues of an electric car. A car, where you fill your tank with Hydrogen and the only emission, is water.

I am not sure about how far off Honda are in making this vehicle a commercial proposition for the mass market as it would appear that it is only available for lease, to 'select' Californians, at a cost of $21,600 over 3 years and there is no purchase option.

I think that Jay Leno really hit the nail on the head when he spoke about the market for this type of car being, individuals and families that would use a car like this during the week and probably take the petrol/diesel motor out at the weekend. This, in my opinion, would be a realistic compromise as I can't see it as a permanent substitute.

No comments: